Mechanical stress and lignification

Tony Travis ajt at doc.ic.ac.uk
Mon Apr 6 12:09:41 EST 1992

mwfolsom at hydra.unm.edu (Mike Folsom) writes:
:
: Well how about not using wind to create the stress.  I seem to
: remember an exp. where somebody put young plants on a shaker
: moving at a slow rpm to induce collenchyma formation.  If you had
: these plants in a growth chamber at a relative high humidity and
: others in a silimar chamber sans the shaker issues of water
: relations would be lots less important.

I'm interested in this work - was it ever published?  It seems to support
the idea that plants _adapt_ to mechanical stress doesn't it?

: By the way - it is nice to hear that somebody cares about structure.
: My god - you even used the " A " word (anatomy)!  Will wonders
: never cease.  Being trained as a structural botanists (that's
: a plant anatomist in drag) I had come to wonder if people were
: still interested in plant structure.

As I said when I first posted to this group, my background is in
agricultural botany.  However, I spent such a long time measuring
things with an eyepiece micrometer that I decided to investigate image
analysis as a way of reducing the amount of tedious work involved.

I'm particularly interested in differences in anatomy in relation to
factors of agricultural/economic significance (such as resistance to
lodging, or degradeability in the rumen).  But, as anyone who tries to
use it will testify, there is far more to image analysis than meets the
eye (!) if you see what I mean ...

	Tony

--
    Tony Travis <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>  | Dr. A.J.Travis