Mechanical stress and lignification

Tony Travis ajt at doc.ic.ac.uk
Fri Apr 3 13:25:05 EST 1992

mwfolsom at hydra.unm.edu (Mike Folsom) writes:
: In article <1992Apr2.054523.9536 at athena.cs.uga.edu> karen at athena.cs.uga.edu (Karen Snetselaar) writes:
:
: Re: my comments on Tony's post Karen says -
:
: >
: >Lignification is a common plant response to various abiotic
: >stresses like needles sticks and abrasions as well as to pathogens
: >and insects.  Histological techniques are often used to document
: >lignin deposition.  Lignin is autofluorescent (so are some other common
: >cell-wall components) and there are some stains that are more-or-less
: >selective for lignin.  These sorts of techniques are useful for
: >monitoring localized lignification, but it seems to me they wouldn't
: >be so useful for answering your question.  The pulp and paper people
: >extract lignin all the time; maybe that's the place to look for techniques.
:
: Well, Tony what is your question?
:
: I took it to be about metabolic pathways and Karen seems to see it from
: a different point of view - so Tony expiring minds want to know!

I posted a followup to Karen's message:  My question is can plants can
adapt to mechanical stress (by thickening sclerenchyma walls and/or
increasing the extent of lignification) or do certain genotypes just
grow with thicker and more lignified cell walls than others.

	Tony

--
    Tony Travis <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>  | Dr. A.J.Travis