Mechanical stress and lignification

Mike Folsom mwfolsom at hydra.unm.edu
Thu Apr 2 13:29:52 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr2.054523.9536 at athena.cs.uga.edu> karen at athena.cs.uga.edu (Karen Snetselaar) writes:

Re: my comments on Tony's post Karen says -

>Lignification is a common plant response to various abiotic
>stresses like needles sticks and abrasions as well as to pathogens
>and insects.  Histological techniques are often used to document
>lignin deposition.  Lignin is autofluorescent (so are some other common
>cell-wall components) and there are some stains that are more-or-less
>selective for lignin.  These sorts of techniques are useful for
>monitoring localized lignification, but it seems to me they wouldn't
>be so useful for answering your question.  The pulp and paper people
>extract lignin all the time; maybe that's the place to look for techniques.

Well, Tony what is your question?

I took it to be about metabolic pathways and Karen seems to see it from
a different point of view - so Tony expiring minds want to know!

Be well!

Michael

     Quayle quotes -                   \

When I talked to him on the phone yetserday. I called him George rather than
Mr. Vice President. But, in public, it's Mr. Vice President, because that is
who he is.
		--shortly after being named Geo. Bush's running mate (8/28/88 by		  the NY Times).