Mechanical stress and lignification

Mike Folsom mwfolsom at hydra.unm.edu
Wed Apr 1 20:32:57 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr1.185552.27565 at doc.ic.ac.uk> ajt at doc.ic.ac.uk (Tony Travis) writes:
>The botanists/plant physiologists seem to have gone to sleep now we are
>waiting for a vote!
>
>I only received one e-mail response to my question about the responses
>of plants to mechanical stress ...
>
>I'm interested in factors affecting the resistance of crop varieties to
>'lodging' damage and I wondered if anyone knows if mechanical stress
>can, itself, lead to lignification?  I know about 'stress' wood in
>trees but don't know if more subtle changes occur in response to
>mechanical stress such as the load from wind blowing on a canopy.
>
>What I want to know is do plants adapt to mechanical stress by
>lignification of their cell walls in a similar way to water stress.
>
>Lignification can be a method of maintaining turgor when the plant is
>under water stress (by reducing the plasticity of the wall).  It would
>also help to prevent the stem from buckling and yielding to lodging
>damage under mechanical stress.

Such a heavy question for April's fool day -

Oh well, since you insist -

Have you buzzed through the plant defense literature?  Seems
to me that lignification is one of the mechanisms plants use
to defend against pathogens.  Now how different is this from the
production of lignin in response to mechanical stress?  I seem to
remember that people who do research in the area of plant
defense mechanisms often use mechanical techniques, e.g.
sandpaper, grinding powerders, etc, to induce plant responses.
I guess I'm wondering if the same techniques used to analyze
plant defense responses could be applied to the questions
which interest you.

Are we on the same wavelength?

If not - sorry - its been a long day -

Prehaps I should try this again tomorrow!

Michael

Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child.
                                                 -- Vice President Dan Quayle
M.W.Folsom/Biology/UNM/Albuqueerque,NM87131/505.277.4228/mwfolsom at unmvm.unm.edu