Maize newsgroup

Marty Sachs msachs at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 24 13:01:06 EST 1992

>	I just sent out a call for discussion on bionet.maize.
>Perhaps we should begin by determining whether bionet.maize
>discussions should just start out on the existing bionet.plants or, if
>the discussion demonstrates a lot of interest, perhaps have
>bionet.maize be a subset, i.e., bionet.plants.maize, since we did
>mention previously that significant subsets of plant biology would be
>spun off into hierarchies.
>
>	I will be away until 1 Sept. so I'll let you guys duke it out
>on this one here and will read the outcome when I get back.
>
>				Sincerely,
>
>				Dave Kristofferson
>				GenBank Manager
>
>				kristoff at genbank.bio.net

This is something that I've started thinking about and started
discussing with Ed Coe et al.  I personally feel that for the time
being, placing maize postings in bionet.plants would be best.
When maize researchers begin to use that newsgroup extensively for
maize-specific information, then we can discuss a seperate
newsgroup (either bionet.maize or bionet.plants.maize).  With the development
of the maize database and the computerization I plan for the stock center, I'm
sure that a maize newsgroup will be desirable in 6-12 months.  However, in my
opinion, maize-specific traffic does not warrent a seperate newsgroup at
present.

     Marty Sachs
     Director, Maize Genetics Cooperation - Stock Center

USDA/ARS & Agronomy/UIUC    msachs at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu [internet]
S108 Turner Hall            msachs at UIUCVMD [bitnet]
1102 S. Goodwin Ave.        (217) 244-0864 [phone]
Urbana, IL  61801           (217) 244-7703 [FAX]