Maize newsgroup

Robert Coelen robert at arbo.microbiol.uwa.oz.au
Sun Aug 23 23:45:25 EST 1992

>	I just sent out a call for discussion on bionet.maize.
>Perhaps we should begin by determining whether bionet.maize
>discussions should just start out on the existing bionet.plants or, if
>the discussion demonstrates a lot of interest, perhaps have
>bionet.maize be a subset, i.e., bionet.plants.maize, since we did
>mention previously that significant subsets of plant biology would be
>spun off into hierarchies.
>
>	I will be away until 1 Sept. so I'll let you guys duke it out
>on this one here and will read the outcome when I get back.
>
>				Sincerely,
>
>				Dave Kristofferson

I think we should seriously examine the structure of our newsgroups.
If we don't we'll end up with a mad jumble of groups. Whilst cross-
fertilisation is commendable, we haven't spent the last 400 years carefully
studying biology to throw all the organisation away, or have we ?
I would be for a hierarchial organisation of our newsgroups in a manner
befitting the work of biologists long gone (and those still with us). No
doubt there will be some benficial spin-offs with respect to being able to
filter relevant stuff in years to come. Let's just look a few years into the
future, when people actually DO know about internet computing (unlike the
situation now - depsite the opinions of the editors of SCIENCE !!!) and when
the size of newsgroup discussion will increase. How about a general overhaul,
with some careful attention to newgroup hierarchy ?

Robert Coelen
Dept of Microbiology