FAO data access?

Tony Travis ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri
Tue Aug 18 04:23:33 EST 1992

In article <92718041336.MIN-LJIAa18017.bionet-news at uk.ac.daresbury> you write:
: In article <92227.080946STROBELF at QUCDN.QueensU.CA>, <STROBELF at QUCDN.QueensU.CA> writes:
: > I'm posting this for a friend: would anybody know whether (and if yes, where)
: > FAO data is accessible somewhere on the net? Thanks a lot.

I worked on an FAO contract two or three years ago and obtained a login
on a VAX at the Rome Headquarters which I accessed via X25 packet
switch networks IPSS (UK) and ITAPAC (Italy).  It was slow, but it did
work for small data sets.

Unfortunately the large IBM machines were/are? not connected to public
networks but I know people who have emailed uuencoded files to/from FAO
via accounts at the University of Rome.  The uuencoding is needed
because EBCDIC machines are involved.  The FAO people polled accounts
at the University, or used sneakernet.

Quite a lot of FAO work is done on PC's BTW (the VAX was running
all-in-one and was primarily an office automation machine but it could
talk to the IBM machines).

We ended up posting floppy disks for the serious stuff though :->

	Tony.

--
Dr. A.J.Travis,                       |  Tony Travis
Rowett Research Institute,            |  JANET: <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>