BIONEWS is better suited for announcements

Thu Aug 6 12:31:08 EST 1992

There seems to be a trend developing towards putting up announcements
on BIOFORUM/bionet.general, probably because the nature of that
dicussion group makes for a higher volume than
BIONEWS/bionet.announce.

You should be aware, however, that the readership on
BIONEWS/bionet.announce is about ****four times**** that of
BIOFORUM/bionet.general based on a quick check of the ratio of e-mail
subscribers at genbank.bio.net.  If you want your announcement to
reach the most people, then BIONEWS/bionet.announce is the place to
post it.  Please note, however, the BIONEWS is for announcements of
meetings and other items of widespread interest.  Queries for help,
etc., should go to METHODS or other forums as the subject dictates.

On another subject, I have been too busy with equipment inventories
and other end-of-GenBank-contract issues recently to respond in detail
to some of David Steffen's points and also to Una Smith's nice work on
a FAQ.  I'll try to get to these things as soon as time permits, but
in all probability my time for BIOSCI issues will continue to be
limited through the end of September as we wind up GenBank.  After
that I'll be back in full swing here through the courtesy of a grant
from NSF.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager (for <2 more months)