PHOTOSYN as a Newsgroup

omond at embl-heidelberg.de omond at embl-heidelberg.de
Tue Dec 8 10:49:10 EST 1992

In article <CMM.0.90.2.723772294.kristoff at net.bio.net>, kristoff at NET.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson) writes:

>> ask the SAS-L and STAT-L groups how they like it.  LISTSERVs do work,
>> however much some people don't like them.
>
> Una,
>
> We are not going to get into a technical discussion here on the
> reasons for our viewpoint.  The pros and cons of LISTSERV have been
> debated with religious fervor in many places, and I'm not about to
> waste time in a biology forum on this issue.  We have reasons for
> doing things the way that we do based on over five years of experience
> running this system which included using LISTSERV up until about a
> year ago.  While I am a physical biochemist by training who did a lot
> of computing in the course of his research, the people that have
> worked with me in this endeavor over the years are computer scientists
> with a lot of background in what they do.

Una,  I just want to add some support for Dave's viewpoint re LISTSERV.
Please believe him, LISTSERV, and the *many* broken implementations
thereof, are a real pain-in-the-neck for system admins.  The horrors
and many sleepless nights caused by mail loops from LISTSERVs are enough
for life.  I might in the same vein that an equal pain-in-the-neck are
the many wrongly configured sendmails on Un*x machines, when you're
trying to run a *very* busy mail server (Netserv at EMBL) ...

*sigh* ... the less that can (and will !) break, the better.

just my 2 Pfennigs worth,

Roy Omond
System Manager/PostMaster etc. etc.
European Molecular Biology Laboratory