Summary of proposal status

Foteos Macrides MACRIDES at WFEB2.BITNET
Fri Feb 28 16:57:00 EST 1992

Fote's FastResponse to:

>Option 1: Have a discussion period (10 days?) during which the charter
>for the group will be modified, withdrawn, etc. by "consensus."
>
>Option 2: Leave the group creation level at 80 YES votes, but allow
>the vote to be overturned if a certain level of NO votes were reached.
>I did not suggest a level, but could see an argument being made for
>requiring a number of NOs > # of YESes.
>
>Comments, please ... of course we could do both of the above (Option 3).
>[...]
>Dave

        I'm for Option 3 (10 days of initial discussion seeking "consensus"
and then 30 days of voting (and further discussion) during which the proposed
group must get at least 80 YES votes *and* more YES's than NO's).  Let's also
add the option that the "formal proposers" of the group can extend the initial
discussion (delay the onset of voting).

        If a proposal failed because of NO votes under these conditions, the
initial discussion must have gone awry (someone was unreasonably stubborn,
resorted to *TRUE FLAMES*, etc.) and the rejection might help prevent this
from happening again.

        I don't think we should have a formally designated discussion leader
for BIOFORUM.  It's an "open forum" for "whatever pops up and doesn't have a
better place," so whoever popped it is by default the "promoter" of that
discussion.  For discussions about group proposals, the proposers can be
expected to promote the discussion in coordination with the BioSci managers.

                                Fote