Voting procedure

S. A. Modena samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 28 08:48:39 EST 1992

>From: kristoff at GENBANK.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson)
>Newsgroups: bionet.general

....mucho deleted....

>>Dave asks:

>Thought for the day - How long would it have taken the U.S.A.'s
>founding fathers to write the Constitution if they communicated by
>e-mail?

Depends on whether they are on BITNET or INTERNET.

Voting NO might have two bases:

1)	the proposed group is obnoxious
2)	the proposed group will pull attention away from some other
		existing group.

Under the concepts of freedom of choice, association, assembly,
thought and speech, what's the utility of a NO vote?

I say: allow NO votes and publish the names/addresses, just as you will
the YES roster.

Make establishment of a newsgroup contigent only on a minimum number
of YES votes, and let the NOs stand as mute dissent.
---