bionet/botany

Bill Bill
Fri Feb 21 13:05:38 EST 1992

In article <1992Feb20.183438.23162 at doc.ic.ac.uk> ajt at doc.ic.ac.uk (Tony Travis)
writes:
>  Recently there was a straw poll
> : within the Botanical Society of America on whether to change the name to
drop
> : "botanical".

The American Society of Plant Physiologists is now considering (unless they've
already decided) to add "and Plant Molecular Biologists" or somescuh.  Same
idea, different category.  Hope it's rejected!

I have to admit, though, that as we consider plant courses for undergraduates
here (a small liberal-arts college) we're leaning toward "plant biology" to
avoid the stamp-collecting mentality that "botany" has come to imply among the
uninitiated.  We figure we'll break them in slowly (the text, after all, will
undoubtedly have the word "botany" in it somewhere).

So when does our newsgroup start?

			-Bill Williams
			-St. Mary's College of Maryland