bionet/botany

Tony Travis ajt at doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu Feb 20 13:34:38 EST 1992

wlk at aber.ac.uk (Warren L Kovach) writes:
[...]
: I would also prefer bionet.botany.  There has been a trend over the past
: number of years to see botany as being old fashioned, and a lot of departments
: have changed their names to "plant sciences" or merged into biology
: departments.  This is hopefully changing.  Recently there was a straw poll
: within the Botanical Society of America on whether to change the name to drop
: "botanical".  Members voted in favor of retaining the current name by 93%!

Hello Warren,

I'm an Agricultural Botanist + proud of it, but I know what you mean about
botany being perceived as 'old fashioned'.

I prefer to look at it in a different way:

Botany is one of the oldest established sciences and has a tradition of
keeping historical records.  Such records and the methods used to
obtain them may well appear old-fashioned by today's standards but they
are part of a philosophy common to all scientific investigation - that
of building on the work of others.

In my view, information technology has an important part to play in
making access to this historical record, and contemporary work, a lot
easier. I think the molecular biologists have lead the way in
exploiting this technology, and we can all learn from their experience.

Thanks again for your support, and let's get bionet.botany approved!

	Tony

--
    Tony Travis <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>  | Dr. A.J.Travis