bionet/botany

Warren L Kovach wlk at aber.ac.uk
Thu Feb 20 03:40:58 EST 1992

In article <18150 at castle.ed.ac.uk> lrri04 at castle.ed.ac.uk (A Travis) writes:
>Erik, my own preference is for bionet.botany, but I'm quite happy to
>name the proposed group bionet.plants if everyone thinks that is a
>better idea.
>
>There are already lots of molecular biology sub-divisions of bionet
>though and I'm not really proposing bionet.molbio.plants but a more
>'botanical' group.

Yes, I strongly agree with this.  We need a group to discuss the whole
organism aspects of plants without being swamp with the molecular
biology.

I would also prefer bionet.botany.  There has been a trend over the past
number of years to see botany as being old fashioned, and a lot of departments
have changed their names to "plant sciences" or merged into biology
departments.  This is hopefully changing.  Recently there was a straw poll
within the Botanical Society of America on whether to change the name to drop
"botanical".  Members voted in favor of retaining the current name by 93%!

* Dr Warren L. Kovach			           Internet: WLK at ABER.AC.UK *
* Palynological Research Centre		            CompuServe: 100016,2265 *
* Institute of Earth Studies						    *
* University College of Wales 			      tel. +44 (970) 622626 *
* Aberystwyth, Wales SY23 3DB U.K.					    *