Entomology interest group?

Andrew F. Cockburn afc at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu
Wed Feb 19 09:02:11 EST 1992

The bottom line:

Is there interest in a forum for molecular geneticists (or anyone
else) working in entomology?

I am assuming that this would not include Drosophilists, since they
already have a bulletin board of their own.

Background:

At a recent mosquito molecular biology meeting it was suggested that
we needed a mailserver to exchange information, and I offered to
establish one.  After looking into the options, it seems to me that
the best options are a LISTSERV mailing list and a Bionet newsgroup.

I have also conducted a cost (in my time) / benefit (to the community)
analysis and think that the original idea of a group open only to
mosquito molecular biologists is too restrictive.  I would prefer a
group that included all of entomology (considering the likely users,
probably heavily weighted toward molecular genetics).

Please mail comments directly to me (afc at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu).  If there
is sufficient interest I will post the results to the net.

Andrew Cockburn