bionet/botany

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Tue Feb 18 08:12:08 EST 1992

> >                        Proposed bionet.botany newsgroup
> >                        ================================
> >
> > Proposer: Tony Travis <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>
> > 	  Dr. A.J.Travis, Rowett Research Institute,
> > 	  Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen, AB2 9SB. UK.
> > 	  tel 0224-712751, fax 0224-715349
> >
> > Type:	  Unmoderated
> >
> > Charter:  Discussion and distribution of software concerned with the
> > 	  applications of computer techniques in all aspects of plant
> > 	  biology including, but not confined to, microscopy and analysis
> > 	  of plant material, image analysis of tissues and intact plants,
> > 	  data logging and analysis of plant growth by computer.
> >
> > --
> >    Tony Travis <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>   | Dr. A.J.Travis,
> >                                       | Rowett Research Institute,
> >                                       | Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen,
> >                                       | AB2 9SB. UK. tel 0224-712751
> >

> Tony,
>
> 	Thanks for the above.  I have two questions though.  1) Are
> you willing to serve as discussion leader to get the newsgroup going,
> i.e., post frequently enough that usage doesn't drop to zero?  2) Is

Yes, I am willing.

> the charter too restrictive?  Why not have the group open for a wider
> range of issues about botany?  If volume gets too high we can always
> break up bionet.botany into bionet.botany.whatever later.  Perhaps you
> might want to post your response to BIOFORUM
> (bioforum at daresbury.ac.uk) for dicussion before we proceed with the
> vote.

Dave, I agree the charter is too restrictive.

I am a plant physiologist with a particular interest in using image
analysis to investigate quantitative changes in plant anatomy.

I suggest that we broaden the proposed charter:

Discussion of issues relating to botany in general, and distribution of
software concerned with the applications of computer techniques in all
aspects of plant biology including, microscopy and analysis of plant
material, image analysis of tissues and intact plants, data logging and
analysis of plant growth by computer.

Please follow-up to bioforum.