PIR Release 31 available for FTP

Dan Davison Davison at UH.EDU
Mon Feb 10 00:25:54 EST 1992

PIR Release 31 is now available for anonymous FTP from
ftp.bchs.uh.edu, 129.7.2.43, in
~ftp/pub/gene-server/pir/pir_rel31/{unix,vms}
as compressed (.Z) files.  A VMS-compatible decompress is available in
the pub/gene-server/pir directory.  Transfer all files in binary mode!

Thanks to the PIR and Bill Pearson for making these files available.
Note that due to a lack of demand a VMS BACKUP file is not given in
this release; contact me if there is a need for this file and I will
try to help you out.  (It was not usually possible to transfer a file
that large reliably, anyway).

A sample ftp session:

% ftp ftp.bchs.uh.edu
ftp> cd pub/gene-server/pir/pir_rel31
ftp> cd unix     (or vms if you want the vms files)
ftp> type binary
ftp> ls -CF      (to see the files there)
ftp> prompt      (to turn off prompting during file retrieval)
ftp> mget *.Z    (to retrieve *all* files -- ONLY DO THIS AT NIGHT!!!)
ftp> quit

Then uncompress the files on your side.
(These new sequences are also available for individual entry retrieval
via the UH Gene-Server as well as the FILESERV at GUNBRF fileserver).

The PIR release header follows:

                P R O T E I N  S E Q U E N C E  D A T A B A S E

                  Section 1. Annotated and Classified Entries
                        Release 31.0, December 31, 1991
                        9184 sequences, 2995925 residues

                      Section 2. Preliminary Entries (NEW)
                        Release 31.0, December 31, 1991
                       13277 sequences, 3486453 residues

                         Section 3. Unverified Entries
                         Release 31.0, January 26, 1992
                       13689 sequences, 3877783 residues

                    Protein Identification Resource (PIR)*
                   National Biomedical Research Foundation
                         3900 Reservoir Road, N.W.,
                         Washington, DC  20007, USA

                           In collaboration with:
International Protein Information             Martinsried Institute for
    Database in Japan (JIPID)                  Protein Sequences (MIPS)
   Science University of Tokyo           Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry
  2669 Yamazaki, Noda 278, Japan          D-8033 Martinsried bei Muenchen, FRG

  This database may be redistributed without prior consent, provided that
  this notice be given to each user and that the words "Derived from" shall
  precede this notice if the database has been altered by the redistributor.

                      *PIR is a registered mark of NBRF.

Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77204-5934/davison at uh.edu/DAVISON at UHOU

gene-server manager

myself.