Fixing Whole Lung Samples for Sectioning

Jonathan B Waugh jwaugh at
Mon Feb 3 22:04:58 EST 1992

I am currying this SIG for suggestions as to how I might prepare whole human
lung samples for slicing quarter-inch sections (to be photographed).  I want
to inject the lungs with some media that is firm enough to hold the lung shape
after it has been cut, but soft enough to allow for smooth cutting.  Three
percent Agar solution didn't work so well, I think it cooled to quickly before
reaching the small airways/alveoli.  Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,