Species Code?

GUALA stinger at pine.circa.ufl.edu
Sat Feb 1 16:11:36 EST 1992

Ref article 2480 by Julian Bourne.
Yes there is a standard code for taxonomic classification. Several
in fact.  The problem is that it changes depending on which group
you are working with.  For example, the standard taxon order is
Division, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species for plants but with
animals "Division" is replaced with "Phylum".  There is always a
proposal at the International Botanical Congress to adopt "Phylum"
in Plants but it never passes.  Remember that this is the short form
and there are many, many intercalary levels such as all of the
"subs" and "supers" (ie. subfamily) and also completely discrete
ones such as Tribe and Variety.  You might consult the latest
version of THE INTERNATIONAL CODE OF BOTANICAL NOMENCLATURE which
will be revised at the quadannual meeting in Tokyo this year, or
the zoological equivalent.  I hope that I got to the jist of your
question, but if not I'll be happy to correspond on the subject.