information on inherited traits?

Tom Schneider toms at
Thu Jun 25 08:47:26 EST 1992

In article <1992Jun24.222846.13851 at> mullens at
(James A. Mullens) writes:
|I'm looking for information about inherited traits, specifically "congenital
|suppression of the third molar" -- lack of wisdom teeth.  I've been able
|to get a little information by scratching around a library.  Up to 50% of
|some European populations and 27% of original-stock Hawaiians have this trait.

This is interesting - with such a large fraction of people having both traits,
it means that by following family phenotypes one should be able to map the
control gene(s)!  Has this been done?  How about the genes for a 6th finger?

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201