What is the address for the embl netserver?

omond at embl-heidelberg.de omond at embl-heidelberg.de
Tue Jun 9 07:37:20 EST 1992

In article <CMM.0.90.2.708052286.kristoff at genbank.bio.net>, kristoff at GENBANK.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson) writes:

> Their Internet address is netserv at embl-heidelberg.de but they have
> been having problems for the last few days and mail is not going
> through.  We have made several attempts to contact them and resolve
> the problem.
>
> EMBL is no longer on BITNET.

Well, I've had a dialogue with Kenton Hoover (IG) about this.  As far
as we are concerned, WE are not having problems.  Mail most definitely
is flowing through to us (and also from us !).  Our mail situation is
perfectly normal.  What has happened, however, is that our nameserver
(felix.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE) was cut off from the Internet last Thursday
(ca. 17:30 MET) until the next morning ca. 10:00 MET due to one of the
directly adjacent Internet nodes (in Bonn) violating the rules re IP
over X.25.  I would have thought, however, that during that time, any
attempt to nslookup the address EMBL-Heidelberg.DE should have been
successfully handled by the secondary nameserver defined for us at
deins.informatik.uni-dortmund.de;  in any case, Dave is right: we
ain't no longer in Bitnet (since 1-Jan-1992).

Btw.  nameserver problems are not as uncommon as one would hope :-(
Ever since the UK started to become properly integrated into Internet,
the number of mailers generating unreplyable From: addresses has
dramatically risen.  I could give a list of easily a hundred mailers
in the world that are badly broken (almost all of them due to wrongly
configured sendmail configs).  The EMBL is certainly not among the list
of broken mailers !

Roy Omond
System Manager/PostMaster etc. etc.
European Molecular Biology Laboratory