Motif Database

Dan Jacobson x-8453 danj at WELCHGATE.WELCH.JHU.EDU
Mon Jun 8 15:56:57 EST 1992

Richard Timmer asks

>Why is Prosearch for PC systems being phased out? Is the nature of the
>database such that the "old" phased-out PC version of Prosearch will not
>work with future updates of the PROSITE database?

Quoting from the release notes:

The previous version was supported on Unix systems, VMS systems and
MSDOS systems. This code is only the Unix version. The VMS version has
been made obselete by the GCG program motif. The MSDOS version of the
code is becoming limited by memory in PCs. As a result, I no longer
intend to deal with VMS or MSDOS support.

Thus the old memory limitation of DOS strikes again.

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu