Proposed plant list

Foteos Macrides MACRIDES at WFEB2.BITNET
Wed Mar 11 09:24:00 EST 1992

>> Dave posted my original 'charter' and I want to use this as the
>> starting point for discussions about the purpose of the new group. I
>> want the group to be 'general' in the sense that any aspect of plant
>> biology is open for discussion, but I am particularly interested in the
>> use of computers and information technology in plant biology.
>> --
>>Tony Travis
>
>We have a choice facing us in the wording of the charter; either we include
>a list of "topics" (to be assembled from the interests of contributors to
>this discussion) or we go for a very general "ALL ASPECTS OF PLANT
>BIOLOGY". The first approach has the advantage of attracting those who find
>"their subject" listed - but we might discourage potential participants who
>don't see their interests represented.
>
>I favour taking the second approach and to leave mention of specific topics
>out of the charter.  Lets instead propose some discussion topics in the
>inital get-to-know-each-other postings. I was impressed with the excellent
>start to the "Chowder Society" list (Biological Information theory - Tom
>Schneider et al.); an early "welcome" message from one of the newsgroup
>organisers listed a few potential topics and they never looked back.  Once
>we win the vote on BIONET.PLANTS, it'll be up to us Plant Scientists to
>think up some topics and provocative questions to get the newgroup going.
>
>Jonathan B. Marder

        Shouldn't the proposal include a maximum eight character Email
subscription name, with a short description suitable for inclusion in the
BioSci info sheet?  Perhaps this is the place to state tersely that it is for
discussions on all?/any? aspect of plant biology, then have the charter go on
to summarize more explicity the range (both "macro" and "molecular") and
examples of discussion topics, and the interests of the discussion leader.

        The new policy is "obviously" a consequence of the "Chowder Society"
forum's impressive success, and the hope that it may serve as a model for
creation of additional successful discussion forums.  On the other hand,
bionet.plants/Email-name is now being proposed with the hope that it will be
the start of an expanding hierarchy, not an "end-point" forum revolving around
the interests of the proposer, per se.  I think this should remain clear
(i.e., as it is in the "get the discussion going again" draft of the
proposal).  If the hierarchy takes off, we can assume that the charter will be
modified in conjunction with the expansion or split.

                                Fote