University libraries

Edward Vielmetti emv at msen.com
Mon Mar 9 18:52:04 EST 1992

I want to echo Don Gilbert's enthusiasm about gopher.  I've quite
thoroughly forgotten all of the intricate commands needed to memorize
how to connect to university libraries in favor of picking the
appropriate commands off a screen.  You can also set up a gopher
as a front end to a WAIS server -- in doing so you lose a little
bit of the flexibilty that a full blown WAIS client gives you but
you make up for it by having some more control over how the information
is presented to the user (eg you can stick up a help screen right
next to the search button or group various related WAIS servers on
a single screen).

Edward Vielmetti, vice president for research, MSEN Inc. emv at msen.com
      MSEN Inc., 628 Brooks, Ann Arbor MI  48103 +1 313 741 1120
     "Things are glued together with spit and bailing wire now."