Proposed plant list

Melissa Melan MMELAN at LUCY.WELLESLEY.EDU
Sat Mar 7 13:04:00 EST 1992

In <9203071703.AA1742 at genbank.bio.net> Samuel Scheiner writes:

>It seems as if you wish to focus on molecular/physiological/
>organismal issues.  What about ecology and evolution?

	Upon looking over the latest revised list of newsgroups, there are
three groups where ecology and evolution issues can be
discussed.  These are Molecular-Evolution, Population-Biology, and Tropical
Biology.  It doesn't seem, therefore, that the ecologists and evolutionary
biologists are being left out in the cold.
	On the other hand, people wishing to discuss plant physiology/
organismal biology do not have an appropriate group.  The plant-related
groups listed are Arabidopsis and Agroforestry.  I work with Arabidopsis
and so have subscribed to that group.   However, since my work does not
involve either agriculture or forestry I did not subscribe to Agroforestry.
The Arabidopsis group is no doubt a quite specialized one and it seems that
many feel that Agroforestry is specialized also and hence the low volume of
postings to that group.
	I fully support the creation of bionet.plants and, according to our
new policy, also support dropping Agroforestry if no one is using it.  For
many of us who feel that Arabidopsis is not the ONLY plant on the face of
the earth, a group for discussion of issues such as growth and
developmental processes, hormonal actions, stress physiology, structural
biophysics, secondary compound biochemistry......etc, etc.... will be MOST
welcome.

Melissa Melan			Internet:(mmelan at lucy.wellesley.edu)
Department of Biological Sciences
Wellesley College