BIOSCI newsgroup

Tony Travis ajt at doc.ic.ac.uk
Fri Mar 6 20:00:35 EST 1992

MACRIDES at WFEB2.BITNET (Foteos Macrides) writes:
: [...]
:         I'm not a bionet.agroforestry person and I hope you don't consider
: this more politics of an unconstructive sort, but I think that both your field
: and BioSci would benefit more from the creation of bionet.plant (and start of
: a plant hierarchy) with a committed person such as you promoting it, than by
: simply settling into an existing forum which had only 76 messages in 1991.

I agree that creation of bionet.plants is the best proposal and that it
has the potential of bringing in new biologists to bionet/biosci from
other small mailing lists.  However, bionet.agroforestry exists and I
want to make sure that we are not overlooking the possibility of using
it to discuss plant biology, before proceeding further with the
proposal to create bionet.plants for this purpose.

: Though forestry considers animals as well as plants w.r.t. an ecosystem (and
: 'plants' doesn't formally encompass bacteria, as mentioned much earlier in the
: botany/plants discussion w.r.t. long-range hierarchical considerations),
: discussions of the sort which were intended to occur in bionet.agroforestry by
: and large could occur in bionet.plant, and are more likely to occur in a forum
: that has action and committment.

I want to see plant biologists follow the example set by the molecular
biologists in making use of bionet to exploit information technology
but this does not depend on the name of a news group does it?  surely
it depends on people being aware that a forum exists and knowing how to
participate by posting articles to the network.  I was unaware of the
existence of any plant biology news groups or mailing lists before the
present discussion on bionet.general began.  I now know that some lists
do exist so we should be coordinating our efforts to establish an
active forum.

:         From the earlier discussion I presume the statement of purpose and/or
: invitations to join the discussion of it in bionet.general/BIOFORUM will be
: sent to sci.bio and several plant oriented Email lists.  Though they may not
: all have contacted you personally, it's hard to imagine that there are not at
: least 80 plant oriented biologists here and there on the net who would favor
: creation of a common forum with both USENET and Email distribution mechanisms.
: The new policy (if approved) will add another "40 days and nights of rain"
: before bionet.plant could be created, but it will have been done right and
: with a sunnier future.  In the meantime, bionet.general/BIOFORUM is for
: discussions which do not yet have a dedicated forum, so... ride this arc!

I have recieved 46 messages from people expressing support or interest
in bionet.botany since I sent my proposal to Dave and started this
discussion. I don't quite see how I can gain more support for the idea
without campaigning outside bionet but I only want genuine support so I
will abide by bionet 'netiquette' and not post outside this group.  I
have no objection to Dave posting an RFD elsewhere, of course, if he
thinks we should invite readers from other groups/lists to participate.

:    Start up an interesting discussion on plants to wet our appetites!!!

OK, I'm interested in the mechanism controlling secondary thickening of
plant cell walls in Zea mays internodes.  Is there any evidence to
suggest that mechanical stress resulting from, for example, wind
pressure on the plant can result in increased levels of cell wall
depositon or lignification in the stem?  If so, what is the underlying
control process?

--
    Tony Travis <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>  | Dr. A.J.Travis