2-Mar-92 POLICY SUMMARY

Foteos Macrides MACRIDES at WFEB2.BITNET
Mon Mar 2 18:04:00 EST 1992

>BIOSCI management must be informed in advance of any intended efforts
>to advertise the newsgroup proposal or to solicit votes on other
>forums.  While BIOSCI wishes to inform potential users of the creation
>of newsgroups that might be of interest to them, promotional efforts
>should be focussed in forums likely to be utilized by professionals in
>the subject area covered by the newsgroup proposal.

        How about modifying this section along the following lines, because
(1) solicitation of votes, *per se*, in other groups should be discouraged, so
don't even mention it as something that sounds OK if the BIOSCI management has
been informed about it, (2) we should discourage "parallel" discussion in
lists to which BIOSCI users might not have subscriptions or in USENET groups
to which non-Internet sites might not have access, (3) readers of the other
lists or USENET groups should have the benefit of reading/participating_in the
discussion in bionet.general/BIOFORUM before casting their votes.
======
BIOSCI management should be informed in advance of any intended efforts
to advertise the newsgroup proposal in other forums.  While BIOSCI wishes to
inform potential users of the creation of newsgroups that might be of interest
to them, promotional efforts should be focussed in forums likely to be
utilized by professionals in the subject area covered by the newsgroup
proposal, and should seek participation in the discussion of the proposal
within bionet.general/BIOFORUM rather than separate discussions in other
forums to which portions of the BIOSCI readership may not have ready access.
======
                                Fote