common cold

suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.MPG.dbp.de suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.MPG.dbp.de
Mon Nov 16 05:46:27 EST 1992

Subj:	common cold

dear colleagues,

what is the source of the common cold ? in origin it is a viral diseases
but my more specific questions are:
1. can one 'catch' a cold (by running in the snow in a wet t-shirt)
2. how does this work: is the immune system weakened by the temp shock?
   apparently, the acitivity of the white bloodcells seems to go down after
   cold shock (personal communication by someone), but doesn't the body
   temperature stay well within the 37C range ?
3. do any of you have references/ideas/suggestions on this matter?

several of my colleagues (and me also) infected ourselves at a late night
party and were AWOL for one week, suggesting that alcohol also may have
something to do with it.

sneezing,

clemens
Clemens Suter-Crazzolara, PhD
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Zuechtungsforschung
Abteilung Genetische Grundlagen der Zuechtungsforschung
Carl-von-Linne Weg 10
5000 Koeln 30
Tel. xx49-221-5062.221           fax. xx49-221-5062.21
suter at vax.mpiz-koeln.mpg.dbp.de