stryder-like program for pc

Dan Jacobson danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu
Mon Nov 23 16:43:22 EST 1992

In article <1992Nov23.094926.9071 at ac.dal.ca> 01moo at ac.dal.ca writes:
>hello!
>
>could someone please direct me to a pc compatible program which
>is similar to the mac program stryder?  i.e.- one in which
>you type in a dna sequence and it shows you the restriction enzyme
>cutting sites?

You might want to take a look at MARKER - you can ftp it from

ftp.bio.indiana.edu in the /molbio/ibmpc directory.

Here's a clip from its documentation:

MARKER is a program for creating DNA length standards and restriction frag-

ments pattern. You may either use it to create some new length standards

(from DNA you already have) or to check out the cleavage sites / digestion

pattern of any sequences.

There are some other programs which do some or all of the things that MARKER

can do. But they are much less comfortable. You'll see.

MARKER V1.0 is FREEWARE. You are not allowed to remove the Copyright infor-

mation. I'll trie to make updates every 3 to 6 months.

  - Start program from that directory by typing marker <RETURN>

  - Change to the directory where your file is saved

    (using the first five menu options)

  - ENTER filename

  - LOAD file (be sure that the filespec is correct first)

  - CHOOSE restriction enzyme(s)

  - DIGEST

  - MAKE (and print) restriction map

  - SHOW restriction fragments pattern