Explanatory books (FAQ)

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Fri Oct 2 09:53:01 EST 1992

I've started the construction of a FAQ list for
bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts and would like other people to
contribute to it's growth and evolution. Please feel free
to include what you like and any suggestions for a better
FAQ list. Thank You. -Paul.

Paul N. Hengen
National Cancer Institute
Frederick, Maryland 21702-1201 USA
voice: (301) 846-5581
FAX: (301) 846-5598
e-mail: pnh at ncifcrf.gov

I think a simple format of questions and answers is a good start since I
haven't seen or heard of a FAQ list at all for this newgroup. Perhaps for
simplicity, I should ask for an ASCII format of not more than 80 characters
in line length. Please include references if possible. What do you think an
appropriate reference format should be? They can be provided as J. Bacteriol.,
Medlars, BiBTeX, etc.. If the list grows too large, it may need to be separated
into catagories such as  1) General information 2) PCR technology
3) Hybridization 4) Plasmids ..etc.

The FAQ list could be in the form:

.........+.........+.........+.........+.........+.........+.........+.........+
        10        20        30        40        50        60        70        80

This is the FAQ list prototype for bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
Last update was on 01 October 1992

[Note: Please add any relevant or missing information and return to me at
the internet address pnh at ncifcrf.gov]

What are some good reference books for methods in molecular biology?

There are many books which provide details and recipes for molecular
cloning techniques. The following is a list of reference books which
are commonly available...

Maniatis, T., E. F. Fritsch, and J. Sambrook. 1982. Molecular cloning: A
laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor,
New York.

Sambrook, J., E. F. Fritsch, and T. Maniatis. 1989. Molecular Cloning: A
laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor,
New York.

Miller, J. H. 1972. Experiments in molecular genetics, p.431-435. Cold
Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York.

Ausubel, F. M., R. Brent, R. E. Kingston, D. D. Moore, J. G. Seeidman,
J. A. Smith, and K. Struhl. 1991. Current Protocols in Molecular Biology.
John Wiley and Sons, New York.

Please add to this list and return to me by e-mail. Thank You.