What's New for 10-02-92

Irene Anne Eckstrand IAE at CU.NIH.GOV
Mon Oct 5 07:18:18 EST 1992

The attached mail is an open letter from the Director of NSF,
Dr. Walter Massey, to the readers of an electronic newsletter of
the American Physical Society.  It concerns planning for the
future of NSF and gives an electronic address to which you
can send comments as well as a telephone number for information.

irene anne eckstrand
iae at cu.nih.gov

== Forwarded Mail ==
Date: Fri,  2 Oct 92 11:37:29 PDT
From: Janice Smith <VP.APS at Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: What's New for 10-02-92

WHAT'S NEW, Friday, 2 October 1992                 Washington, DC

An Open Letter to the readers of WHAT'S NEW from the Director of
the National Science Foundation:

I thank the American Physical Society for this opportunity to
engage the physics community directly.  I share your concern for
the future health of physics research and for determining how
physicists can contribute to the changing needs of the country.
I understand the apprehensions being expressed by many members of
our community.  All of us need to work together and address the
challenges that lie before us.

It is my hope that the physics community knows my wholehearted
commitment to supporting the academic research and education
enterprise.  I am motivated by the belief that the directions I
propose will strengthen research activities.  With this letter, I
am asking the community to engage the issue and express its
thoughts on how the National Science Foundation should proceed.

Let me share with you the process that has brought us to this
point.  It has become clear to me, the National Science Board,
and many others that the significant changes underway, both
internal and external to the scientific community, require an
open, thoughtful discussion of the future role and direction of
the NSF.  These changes--changes in the nature of research
itself, new demands on academic institutions, the end of the cold
war, the growing international economic competition--have
profound public policy ramifications.  They are reshaping both
the environment for conducting research and what the public
expects from investments in science and technology.

Because of the challenges posed by these changes, the Board has
established the Commission on the Future of NSF.  The Commission
will make recommendations to the Board on what kind of vision and
strategy can guide the Foundation and best meet the research and
education needs of the country in the years ahead.  Keeping NSF
and the academic research and education enterprise strong and
vital are its primary goals.  I believe that, by exercising
leadership and supporting a broader spectrum of research and
education activities, we can strengthen the academic enterprise
and improve future opportunities for research in all disciplines.

After I return from Europe next week, I will resume meeting with
representatives of the community.  Comments regarding the
Commission should be sent via e-mail to NSBCOMM at NSF.GOV
(Internet) or NSBCOMM at NSF (Bitnet).  If you would like more
information regarding the Commission, please contact NSF's Office
of Legislative and Public Affairs at (202) 357-9838.

                                        Sincerely,
                                        Walter E. Massey