access to Venter's EST database?

Francis Ouellette francis at monod.Biol.McGill.CA
Fri Oct 23 22:47:01 EST 1992

wnf at aretha.jax.org (Wayne N. Frankel) writes:

>I have heard (via the recent AAAS-HUGO meeting) that Dr. J. Craig Venter's
>EST database is available via an FTP site, ftp.tigr.org.  However, this does
>not seem to work via anonymous FTP in the usual way.  Does anybody know how
>to successfully connect, or how to get a login and password if this
>is required?  Thanks for your attention!

dear Wayne,

I heard also (via a rescent Yeast Genome Meeting) from Chris Fields of
the same anonymous FTP address.  It did not work ... but it was fixed
after a simple query:

> francis,
>     We are sorry about the delay.  Our anonymous FTP
> site is open to the public now...
>
> john
>
> John C. Kelley
> The Institute for Genomic Research
> 932 Clopper Road
> Gaithersburg, MD  20878

so it is your vanila flavor anonymous login, id as password type of
FTP site, but I was disapointed to not find all those new ESTs they
have been talking about ... or so it appears ...

Files:
-rw-rw-r--  1 francis    503881 Jul  1 23:38 est1_02.Z
-rw-rw-r--  1 francis    280701 Jul  1 23:39 estfa1_02.Z
-rw-rw-r--  1 francis    598842 Jun 30 23:42 west1_01
-rw-rw-r--  1 francis    283268 Jun 30 23:43 westfa1_01

maybe later when they clear the Genbank annotator's desk.

regards,

francis