Copyright restrictions

Joost Loijens JLOIJENS at MACC.WISC.EDU
Wed Sep 23 16:40:00 EST 1992

   This note is along the lines of Una's posting.
   In Canada, at least, the guidelines for fair copying were that you
could only copy 1 in 5 articles in a journal.  This is a minor point since
usually you only want a few articles from any one journal.  I think for a
book it was 10-20% of the material could be copied.  The stipulation is that
the articles may only be used for personal study.  I would think that
students taking a course is personal study (guided by a teacher..).
   Normally, you go to the library or your departmental machine and make
copies of those articles you want (or send an undergrad. slave to do it).
How is this different from having a copying centre make the copies for you,
assuming that they just charge you for the copying and binding.  Their
rates are probably cheaper than some libraries so I don't think that
saying that they make a profit on each page is useful in this discussion.
Theoretically, each student *could* walk to the library and make his
*personal* copy of all the papers the professor wants.
   The purpose of these collections is to expose the students to the
primary literature in the field.  If the professor makes a packet, that
facilitates learning since all the papers are intact and in one place.  The
number of copies is the same for both ways I mention and used for the same
purpose.  Therefore, I think the two paths are the same.
   What do others think?

   Disclaimer:  I'm only a graduate student :)

Regards,

  Joost Loijens
  Program in Cell and Molecular Biology     internet: jloijens at macc.wisc.edu
  University of Wisconsin-Madison           bitnet  : jloijens at wiscmac