c value paradox

tabitha at vms.huji.ac.il tabitha at vms.huji.ac.il
Wed Sep 23 01:32:37 EST 1992

I am a postgraduate student at Hebrew University.  I'm interested
in the C-value paradox - why doesn't the amount of DNA correlate
with the complexity of the organism?  I've read several differing
opinions.
1.  The extra DNA is junk or selfish, and doesn't have a phenotypic
function.

2.  This DNA is symbiotic.  It helps determine the volume of a
cell's nucleus, which is related to the volume and rate of growth
of the cell, and consequently the development and reproduction of
the organism.

3.  The DNA plays a role in gene regulation.

It seems that the evolutionary preservation of so many of these
sequences, especially among middle repetitive DNA, indicates that
at least some of the "junk" DNA has a phenotypic function.  Some
middle repetitive sequences are interspersed with genes and
exert control of gene expression.
(Lewis, Jeffrey).

I haven't found many references of recent vintage on this subject.  Could
people out there tell me what work has been done on this question
recently?  I'd be very thankful.

I posted this question in the molecular evolution newsgroup and got a
few responses.  Thwere helpful, and one person
suggested I post here as well, because the traffic in that conference
isn't so heavy.

thanks.

-tabitha
tabitha at vms.huji.ac.il