bionet.bionette or bionet.women ?

Michiaki Masuda masuda at fcs280b.ncifcrf.gov
Fri Sep 4 14:35:47 EST 1992

In article <zxmkr08.715537023 at mailserv> zxmkr08 at mailserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de (Cornelius Krasel) writes:

>Well, when I read the name "Bionette" the first time, I thought of something
>connected with Netiquette... I guess I would have had a look though (just
>because of curiosity) but I NEVER would have guessed the purpose of this
>newsgroup from its name.

   This is the very point that the name "bionette" is worth.
If you could guess the results of a research project easily, how much
would you be interested in it? Being more curious than others (true?),
we scientists are attracted something more amorphous, more obscure and more
unpredictable (though sometimes curiosity kills 8-)).

   The word "bionette" with a poetic and mysterious sonance might attract
more attention and could potentially increase the number of readers and
contributors.

   BTW, how long will this discussion on naming keep going? As a male scientist
surrounded by three female colleagues, I've been waiting for the opening day
in order to understand more of female scientists' point of view. There may be
other netters who are in real and urgent need of this kind of group, too.
Would it be possible to let this new group go before someone starts to say,
"those indecisive and irresolute attitudes of women...", "those women who
want to have it perfect from the beginning...", etc.?

Michiaki Masuda
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology
National Cancer Institute
Frederick, MD 21702-1201