uranium in microscope slides

afc at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu afc at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu
Fri Apr 2 09:03:50 EST 1993

Our laboratory has been using black depression slides (about 10cm x 8cm)
for decades.  These are the heavy ceramic kind that you rinse out and
reuse.

Recently, our technician checked them with a geiger counter and found
that they were screaming hot.  The campus radiation folks checked and
allegedly found that they were full of uranium.

We don't know how the uranium got there.  Maybe it was manufactured in;
maybe the uranium fairy dropped by one night and enchanted them.

In any case, if you use this kind of slide, it would be worth checking them
with a geiger counter.  If you have hot ones, we would like to hear about
it.

The above is my personal opinion and does not represent the official
position of any government agency or institution.

A. F. Cockburn