Mushroom ID software

Kathie Hodge kh11 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 2 12:20:12 EST 1993

In article <C4tEz0.EFw at news.cso.uiuc.edu> Jim Veselenak writes:
>Does anyone out there know of any mushroom identification software?  If
so,
>would you please inform me.  Details such as cost, availability,
accuracy,
>etc. would be most appreciated.

Bryce Kendrick at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada has put
together a database for identification of mushrooms with a friendly
search interface for the Mac or DOS.  Last I heard, he was charging $40
(Canadian?).  His e-mail address is   bryce at mycologue.uwaterloo.ca

Fred Rhoades has developed computer keys for northwestern mushrooms,
lichens, and mosses for DOS systems.  They're available for $10 (U.S.).
His address is  Mycena Consulting, 4320 Dumas Ave., Bellingham, WA 98226
(phone (206) 733-9149.

Another is called PolyKey, and is for North American polypores (I'm not
sure what platform it runs on).  I believe it was developed by James
Adaskaveg (UC Davis) and Robert Gilbertson (U. Arizona).  Dr. Adaskaveg's
address is Dept. of Plant Pathology, Univ. California, Davis, CA 95616
(phone (916) 752-0310).  There will be a workshop using PolyKey preceding
this year's Mycological Society meeting, June 18th in Athens, GA.

I'd be willing to bet there are more around that I don't know about.  I
haven't used any of these, so I can't comment on their breadth or
accuracy.

Good luck

Kathie Hodge
kh11 at cornell.edu