Restriction enzyme help

John Nash nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca
Fri Apr 2 13:30:11 EST 1993

In article <1993Apr2.181617.15803 at ramsey.cs.laurentian.ca> abigail at ramsey.cs.laurentian.ca (Shawn Abigail) writes:
>From: abigail at ramsey.cs.laurentian.ca (Shawn Abigail)
>Subject: Restriction enzyme help
>Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1993 18:16:17 GMT

>I downloaded a file with a list of restriction enzymes, their sequences
>and sources.  I am a little confused over the nomenclature of the sequences.
>C, T, A & G are obvious!  R stands for a Purine and Y stands for a
>Pyrimidine.  Does N stand for "any nucleotide"?  What about W and S?
>Any help is gratefully appreciated.

>Shawn Abigail
>abigail at ramsey.cs.laurentian.ca

R = A or G	Y = T or C
W = A or T	S = G or C
M = A or C	K = G or T
H = A or T or C
B = C or T or G
V = A or C or G
D = A or G or T
N = A or C or G or T

I think I got it right!

cheers, John

John Nash                           | Email: Nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca.
Institute for Biological Sciences,  | National Research Council of Canada,
Cell Physiology Group.              | Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.