Grad Programs in Computers/MolBiol

sofer at mbcl.rutgers.edu sofer at mbcl.rutgers.edu
Thu Apr 1 13:41:01 EST 1993

Last week I asked:
>Does anyone know of Universities
>that have graduate programs that have
>an emphasis (or program of study) in
>computational molecular biology?

>Bill Sofer

These are the responses that I received. I tried to be
careful in the attributions, but I offer no guarantees
of my accuracy. In addition, I can't be responsible for
any errors from the corespondents - I only collected
their replies. However, if anyone has any corrections or
additions, please let me know and I will post them.

*** Boston University
Department of Biomedical Engineering. Contact Temple
Smith.
(1)

*** Carnegie Mellon University
There are several, but I'm only going to tell you about
the new program at CMU in computational biology recently
funded by the Keck Foundation. Contact Prof. Robert
Murphy for more information (MURPHY at A.CFR.CMU.EDU).
(2)
YES!  Here in Pittsburgh, we have the Keck Center for
Advanced Training in Computational Biology, a
collaborative program between Carnegie Mellon University
and the University of Pittsburgh's departments of
Computer Science and Biology.  For more information, you
can contact Dr. Bruce Buchanan at Pitt/CS
(buchanan at cs.pitt.edu) or Dr. Susan Henry at CMU/Biology
(sh4b+ at andrew.cmu.edu).
More specifically, I'm doing research precisely on
computational molecular biology.  And, I'm looking for
graduate students.  I've appended further details to
this message.
Feel free to share this message.  I look forward to your
reply.
(3)

***George Mason University
A new program in Computational Science and Informatics.
[I am currently teaching the bioinformatics course
there.] For more information, contact Harold Morowitz
(hmorowitz at gmuvax.gmu.edu) or John Evans
(jevans at gmuvax2.gmu.edu).
(4)

*** Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Eric Lander - esp. genetic mapping
(5)

***Stanford University
D. Brutlag (Biochem), Sam Karlin (Math - actually
statistics),, D. Botstein (genetic mapping)
(5)
Stanford Medical School.  One of the nation's best
medical informatics programs, recently hired Russ Altman
to teach computational biology.  For information,
contact Ted Shortliffe (shortliffe at sumex-
aim.stanford.edu)
(4)
We have a program at Stanford called Medical Information
Sciences which deals with molecular biological tools as
well as medical diagnostics.  Doug Brutlag, Ron Davis,
David Botstein, Michael Walker are some key names who
have demonstrated interest in furthering computational
genetics. Botstein and Walker can be reached at:
botstein at camis.stanford.edu, walker at camis.stanford.edu
(6)
Stanford Cell Biology (Michael Levitt); Stanford Medical
Information Sciences
(7)
We have a degree granting program in Medical Information
Sciences (in which all of my students participate) and
we are in the midst of building a bioinformatics track
(Biological Information Sciences).  We have several
active faculty in this area, myself, Russ Altman,
Michael Levitt, Sam Karlin among others.
(8)

***University of Arizona
Eugene Myers, et al. (CS) - combinatorial algorithms
(5)
***University of California, Berkeley
Eugene Lawler (CS), R. Karp (CS) -both combinatorial
algorithms, Terry Speed (Stat), others in math (e.g. DNA
topology)
(5)

***University of California, Davis
Dan Gusfield (CS) - combinatorial algorithms
(5)

***University of California, San Diego
UCSD is strong in this area.  Contact Doug Smith at
dsmith at ucsd for info.
(9)

***UC San Diego - try the CS dept - it is interdiscplinary
program
(5)
There is a recently advertised program at UC San Diego
in Genome Analysis and Informatics that seems relevant.
Information is available from
UC San Diego
Biology Student Affairs, 0125
3300 Miramar Road
La Jolla, CA 92037-9746
(10)

***University of California, San Francisco
UCSF has a department of pharmaceutical chemistry which
has a very strong program in computational chemistry,
maybe the best in the country.
(11)

***University of Colorado, Boulder
Gary Stormo? (Mol. Biology)
(5)

***University of Georgia
The graduate program in Genetics at the University of
Georgia has a program in computational molecular
biology. For Further information contact:
Graduate Coordinator
Genetics Department
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602
(706) 542-8000
This program is folded into several training grants.
(12)

***University of Illinois
Then there is the Beckman Center effort at University of
Illinois which is primarily an interdisciplinary program
between biology and computer science.
(8)

***University of Missouri
We have a computer science department masters program
that emphasizes molecular biology computer applications.
That department is planning to offer a Ph.D. in the
future. We have a grant from the National Library of
Medicine "Integrating the Tools for Molecular Biology"
that is to develop integrated tools for computer
applications across heterogeneous platforms. This is a
cooperative arrangement between Computer Science,
Biochemistry, and Microbiology faculty on this campus
with personnel at the  Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center.
For additional information either write to me or to Dr.
Gordon Springer
	Computer Science Department
	University of Missouri
	Columbia, Missouri  65212
(13)

***University of North Carolina
I know that at the Univ. of North Carolina in Chapel
Hill, we have a curriculum called Program in Molecular
Biology and Biotechnology (PMBB).  Faculties from Dept.
of Microbiology and PMBB offer a few courses in
computational molecular biology.  I have also heard some
rumors that they may start such a program explicitly.  I
myself have an interest in this field and have been
collaborating with researchers from departments above
and the biochemistry in developing computational tools
and techniques for various purposes such as biological
sequence analysis, protein folding etc.  Hope this
helps.
(14)

*** University of Pennsylvania
Pavel Pevzner (Math) at University Park (?)
[Is this perhaps Penn State? - Bill S.]
(5)

*** University of Pennsylvania Medical
School(?)
 Chris Overton and David Searles = logic programming /
syntactic approaches to genomic sequence analysis
(5)

***University of Pittsburgh
*University of Pittsburgh (in conjunction with Carnegie
Mellon). A new program in computational biology, funded
by the Keck Foundation. For  information on that
program, contact Bruce Buchanan  (buchanan at cs.pitt.edu).
(4)
(See also Carnegie-Mellon University)

*** University of Southern California
Mike Waterman (Math, Statistics),genomic sequence
statistics, algorithms, statistics of mapping
(5)

***University of Utah
Math Dept.
(5)

*** University of Washington, Seattle
Genetics Dept., Biotech Dept. - computational genetics,
??
(5)
The new biotechnology department at the Univ. of
Washington has as part of its area of interest
computational molecular biology.  Since Lee Hood has
only just this year arrived, there is no track record
yet in terms of what kind of students will actually be
part of the department.
(15)
Depending on what you want to compute, the molecular
biotechnology department at the university of washington
definitely has a strong computational bent.  We are not
degree granting yet, but probably will be within 12
months.  Current grads are in the immunology (me),
bioengineering, or genetics departments.  Currently,
Lee's vision of a graduate program has a graduate
student work both on a cutting edge problem in molecular
biology as well as a tool to solve it.  Such a tool
could obviously be computational.  Of course, visions do
not always become reality...
(16)

***University of Wisconsin
I think that the computer science department at U of
Wisconsin has such a program.  You might send email to
shavlik at cs.wisc.edu (Jude Shavlik) to inquire.  He is on
the faculty there.
(17)
Deborah Joseph (CS) - algorithms, Jude Shavlik (CS)
machine learning
(5)

***Washington State University, Pullman
A program in computational science  including biology
that has been going for at least three years.  For more
information, contact Keith Dunker
(dunker at bobcat.csc.wsu.edu).
(4)
Washington State University has a program that may be
applicable -I'd suggest you contact Robert Miller
(rmiller at eeecs.wsu.edu) as he is working in the program.
(18)

***Washington University
CS. Dept - Medical Informatics Program
(5)
Washington University, St. Louis.  They have just
instituted a new Institute for Biological Comp