Restriction enzyme help

Peter Rice rice at embl-heidelberg.de
Tue Apr 6 03:31:59 EST 1993

In article <1993Apr6.104849.224 at chmeds.ac.nz>, cytogen at chmeds.ac.nz (Martin Kennedy) writes:
> In article <nash.88.0 at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca>, nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca (John Nash) writes:
>>
>> R = A or G	Y = T or C
>> W = A or T	S = G or C
>> M = A or C	K = G or T
>> H = A or T or C
>> B = C or T or G
>> V = A or C or G
>> D = A or G or T
>> N = A or C or G or T

> Some very helpful mnemonics for these characters have just been posted on
> bionet.methds-reagnts if you are interested.

In fact they are more than just mnemonics, they are the real reasons for the
base codes. The source for these is Cornish-Bowden (1985); Nucl. Acids. Res.
13:3021-3030.

The codes are the standard IUPAC-IUB base codes, so of course they are now
fixed - although I recall seeing somewhere that IUB recently changed its own
name :-)

 Peter Rice, EMBL                             | Post: Computer Group
                                              |       European Molecular
 Internet:    Peter.Rice at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE   |            Biology Laboratory
                                              |       Postfach 10-2209
 Phone:   +49-6221-387247                     |       W-6900 Heidelberg
 Fax:     +49-6221-387306                     |       Germany