CALL FOR DISCUSSION: CHROMOSOMES/bionet.genome.chromosomes

Francis Ouellette francis at MONOD.BIOL.MCGILL.CA
Tue Apr 6 15:01:09 EST 1993

> Name:  bio-chrom   MAPPING AND SEQUENCING OF MAMMALIAN CHROMOSOMES
>
> 	Greg Lennon and Bruce Roe propose to be discussion leaders
> for a new news group that would replace the .chromosome22 news group
> and the autoseqs at net.bio.net e-mail list.
>
> The topics open for discussion in this new, combined, news group include:
>
>   1. Physical mapping of human, mouse and other mammalian chromosomes
>
>   2. Large-scale sequencing of cDNAs and chromosomes
>
>   3. Mapping of human, mouse and other mammalian cDNAs to chromosomes
>
>   4. Selection of chromosome-specific cDNAs
>
>   5. Generation of chromosome-specific clones and sequences
>      (STSs, microsatellites, etc.)

I must admit that I am a bit disapointed that "autoseqs" does not contain
a more important part of the mandate of this group.  I think a group dealing
with automated sequencing  of all genomes, not just human, would have been more
appropriate.  The autoseqs mailing list is doing a lot better as a list, than
CH22 ever did.

I think there is an attempt here to put two groups together, which don't
really belong together.  On one side you should have
bionet.genome.human.chromosome and on the other you should have
bionet.molbio.methods.autoseqs.

I understand that I am creating an extra level of hierchy, but it is just
to make the point that these two groups don't really belong together.

regards,

francis