ACEDB Newsgroup

Mike Cherry 726-5955 CHERRY at FRODO.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Apr 8 16:19:40 EST 1993

Francis Ouellette (francis at monod.Biol.McGill.CA) writes:

>maybe this is a reason why we should have a general genome software
>group, and not one specific to C. elegans. Maybe bionet.software.genome
>would be a better idea (quick, where is my asbestos suit ... :)

The proposed bionet.software.acedb group is NOT a group for questions
about the worm database. ACEDB is the software being used for ACEDB
(worm), AAtDB (Arabidopsis), and MycDB (mycobacterium) which are all
currently released databases. Several other species specific genome
databases are in the works using the ACEDB software. These include
forest trees, soybean, wheat, fly, dog, as well as some parts of mouse
and human chromosome projects. Others are developing a form of
existing Sybase databases to use ACEDB as a presentation tool.  Still
others are using ACEDB for laboratory genome information databases.

I believe there are enough people using the ACEDB software (for
whatever organism) to justify a separate group.

bionet.software.acedb = the ACEDB software discussions
                                  ^^^^^^^^

However I included in the proposed charter that questions about any of
the databases based on the ACEDB software would also be appropriate
for the bionet.software.acedb group.

Mike Cherry