PARLE'93: Advanced Programme Corrections

M.J. Ratcliffe michael at ecrc.de
Tue Apr 13 15:27:20 EST 1993

We have recently spotted some bugs in the printed version of the PARLE'93
Advanced Programme. Here are the most important points for those of you
receiving the printed version, followed by a reposting of the full
information for reference. Please note that the early registration
deadline is nearing (April 30th).
     a) the tutorial attendance fee is DM275
     b) the reduced registration fee is available for all members of CEPIS
        (Council of European Professional Informatics Societies)
        organisations (i.e. AFCET, AFIN, AICA, BCS, CCS, DD, DND, FESI,
FIPA, GCS,
        GI, ICS, ITG im VDE, NGI, NJSzT, OCG, PIPS, SAI, SI, VRI). Please
include
        your membership number and relevant member organisation on the
        registration form.

--michael

~~~~~~~~~~~~

             |                                               |
             |     A D V A N C E D   P R O G R A M M E       |
             |                                               |
             |                      &                        |
             |                                               |
             | C A L L    F O R    P A R T I C I P A T I O N |
             |                                               |
             |                                               |

     PARALLEL ARCHITECTURES  PPPP    AA    RRRR   L    EEEE  999   333
                             P   P  A  A   R   R  L    E    9   9     3
              AND LANGUAGES  PPP    AAAA   RRR    L    EEE   9999   33
                             P     A    A  R  R   L    E        9     3
                     EUROPE  P     A    A  R   R  LLLL EEEE  999   333

                             Marriott Hotel, Munich, Germany
                             June 14 - 18, 1993

                                 OVERVIEW

PARLE is an international, european!based conference focusing on the
parallel processing subdomain of Informatics/Information Technology. It
is organised annually on a non!profit making basis to act as a European
forum for interchange between those working or interested in the domain,
from both academia and industry.

Ever increasing demands are being made on computer technology to provide
the processing power necessary to help understand and master the
complexity of natural phenomena and engineering structures. Within human
organisations ever more processing power is needed to master the
increased information flow. Many so!called !Grand Challenges! have been
identified as being orders of magnitude beyond even the most powerful
computers available today.

Parallel processing technology offers a solution to providing the
necessary power and is therefore generally recognised as a strategically
important technology. By taking many basic processing devices and
connecting them together the potential exists of being able to achieve a
performance many times that of an individual device. However it is still
an important topic of research to discover how to do this optimally and
then to be able to effectively exploit the potential power through real
applications solving real!world problems.

                             WHO SHOULD ATTEND?

PARLE!93 has been designed to be attractive for a very wide!ranging
audience. It will appeal to academic researchers and students working in
the field of parallel processing or related areas. It will also appeal to
industrial workers in the area wishing to discover the latest ideas,
techniques and approaches. The Tutorial Programme offers an opportunity
for anyone interested in learning the state!of!the!art in some of the
newest, most exciting areas of parallel processing from world renowned
experts. A special Esprit project poster display will provide an overview
of many projects funded by the European Commission. The Industrial
Programme, consisting of both Vendor Presentations and an Exhibition,
offers the opportunity to gain first!hand experience of the commercial
products available today.

PARLE!93 offers an unrivaled opportunity for anyone interested to learn
more about parallel processing, whether expert or novice.

                             PROGRAMME OVERVIEW

      +------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
      | Monday     | Tuesday    | Wednesday  | Thursday   | Friday     |
      | 14th June  | 15th June  | 16th June  | 17th June  | 18th June  |
      +------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
      |    T       |                                      |            |
      |    U       |                                      | SATELLITE  |
      |    T       |           PAPER  SESSIONS            |            |
      |    O       |                                      |     EVENTS |
      |    R       |                                      |            |
      |    I       +------------+------------+------------+------+-----+
      |    A       |                                             |
      |    L       |          INDUSTRIAL  EXHIBITION             |
      |    S       |                                             |
      +------------+------------+------------+------------+------+
                   | RECEPTION  |  BANQUET   |
                   +------------+------------+

                          INDUSTRIAL PROGRAMME

The Industrial Programme associated with PARLE!93 consists of an
Exhibition and Vendor Sessions. The following companies have confirmed
their participation:
     Convex                         Intel
     Cray Research                  MasPar
     Distributed Software Limited   Meiko
     DSM Computer                   nCUBE
     Encore                         Pallas
     GENIAS Software GmbH           Parsytec
     IBM                            Siemens-Nixdorf Information Systems
     ICL                            Transtech Parallel Systems

                           SATELLITE EVENTS

Two satellite events are being organised in association with PARLE!93:
     * A meeting for Esprit projects involved in parallel processing is
planned
       by the European Commission.
     * An Intel European Users! Group meeting.
     * A meeting of CONVEX's SCWG (Scalable Computing Working Group) on
       compatible cluster and MPP programming

                              TUTORIALS

A choice of four parallel tutorials is being offered. Each tutorial will
last a full day in order to provide the time necessary for an in-depth
coverage:

TUTORIAL 1: MOLECULAR BIOINFORMATICS

Presenter: Thomas Lengauer, GMD, St. Augustin, Germany

Objectives
This tutorial will give an overview of Molecular Bioinformatics, its
promises, its limitations, and its scientific challenges. Molecular
Bioinformatics is an area in applied computer science which is in general
terms concerned with the development of methods and tools for analysing,
understanding, reasoning about and, eventually, designing large
biomolecules such as DNA, RNA, and proteins, with the aid of the
computer. The complexity of these molecules necessitates sophisticated
algorithmic and organizational models and techniques in order to keep the
computational requirements within acceptable ranges. High-performance
computing and parallel computation are an important aspect of Molecular
Bioinformatics. On the one hand, chemists have a well-developed tradition
of using high-performance computers. On the other hand, many of the
problems involved can only be tackled if the highest computing power
available is used effectively.

Contents
     I    Introduction to the biomolecular background.
     II   Alignment of biomolecular sequences (DNA, RNA, Proteins) and the
          detection of evolutionary relationships between such sequences
          (phylogenetic trees).
     III  Modeling of large biomolecules, including the prediction and
analysis of
          secondary and higher-level structure as well as spatial
conformations
          (folding).
     IV    Molecular dynamics and simulations of interactions between
biomolecules.

Biography
Thomas Lengauer is a director of the Institute of Foundations of
Information Technology at the Federal Research Center for Computer
Science (GMD) in St. Augustin, Germany. He is also Professor of Computer
Science at the University of Bonn. His research interests are in the area
of efficient algorithms and their application in science and technology.
Applications besides molecular biology that he is interested in are:
circuit design and layout, parallel computation, and cutting problems in
manufacturing.

TUTORIAL 2: NEURAL NETWORKS, FROM THEORY TO APPLICATIONS

Presenter: Francoise Fogelman Soulie, LRI, University of Orsay, France

Objectives
Participants in this tutorial will learn about advanced Neural Network
techniques. Efficient methods will be given for training the complex,
hybrid architectures required for real-world problems. Through a survey
of applications, the tutorial will assess the technology's realizations
and provide a development methodology. Parallel implementations of Neural
Networks will be discussed.

Contents
     I    General introduction to Neural Networks. Overview of industrial
          implementations.
     II   Survey of major Neural Network learning algorithms: Adaline,
Perceptron,
          Multi-Layer Networks, Learning Vector Quantisation, Radial
Basis Function,
          Topological Maps.
     III  Neural Networks and Pattern Recognition: theoretical links with
the
          Bayesian Classifier, computing and ge