genetic counseling graduate programs

Wed Apr 14 09:53:58 EST 1993

In article <1qfclhINNd2g at>, drintoul at
(David A Rintoul) wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have a student who thinks she would like to become a genetic
> counselor.  Pardon my ignorance, but are there degree programs
> out there in this field?  If so, I sould greatly appreciate any
> information you can provide regarding these programs, and about
> what prerequisites they might be looking for in a prospective
> graduate student.  Thanks.
> Dave
> --
> Dave Rintoul                Internet: drintoul at
> Biology Division - KSU     Latitude 39.18, Longitude -96.34
> Manhattan KS 66506-4901                         TCN: id2418
> (913)-532-5832 or 6663                  FAX: (913)-532-6653

Yes, she should inquire with the local group that does amniocentesis
and ask to talk to one of the genetic counselors.  They will have
training and should have some idea where the best training
programs are.  People get there with either MD or PhD backgrounds,
though my bias is for physicians to give medical advice.

Steve Holland