Do we need THREE genome newsgroups?

cherry at Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU cherry at Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU
Wed Apr 14 07:56:17 EST 1993

In article <francis.734639763 at monod>, francis at monod.Biol.McGill.CA (Francis Ouellette) writes:
>To which I say ... lets just give it a try ...  I think if there is a
>general genome group, with a very broad mandate to deal with all
>things to do with genomes ... we will get a big crowd involved, and
>then, groups (ACeDB?) can splinter off.

Nice idea except we have all seen groups that were nice ideas never be
used.  The proposal for the bionet.software.acedb was only put forth
after being involved in a couple different mailing list that were
resources for developers of databases using ACEDB. Having an ACEDB
newsgroup would allow these discussions to be opened up to the general
user. The mailing lists are generating about as much mail as I'd care
to receive in their present form.  So the traffic on an ACEDB group
based on current traffic of these mailing lists would be quite enough
to justify a separate newsgroup.

Mike Cherry