genetic counseling graduate programs

Fran Lewitter lewitter at binah.cc.brandeis.edu
Thu Apr 15 08:22:26 EST 1993

>I have a student who thinks she would like to become a genetic
>counselor.  Pardon my ignorance, but are there degree programs
>out there in this field?  If so, I sould greatly appreciate any
>information you can provide regarding these programs, and about
>what prerequisites they might be looking for in a prospective
>graduate student.  Thanks.

There are a dozen or so programs in the US which offer an MS degree in
Genetic Counseling, and currently, there are about 1000 board certified
Genetic Counselors.

The newest program is run here at Brandeis University, Department of
Biology. We have established affiliations with many of the hospitals and
clinics in the Boston area for clinical internships.

Because of our further understanding of genetic diseases, genetic
counselors will be needed in growing numbers to explain facts, advise on
choices and help set public policy in a number of settings: in hospitals
and
clinics to counsel families who are affected by or may be at risk for a
genetic disorder; in diagnostic laboratories as resource people for
physicians and their patients; and in government agencies to design
genetic education programs, help set public health policy and develop
more effective ways of communicating the many new findings to
employers, insurers and the public at large.

For more information about the field of Genetic Counseling and all of the
US programs, contact:

National Society of Genetic Counselors
233 Canterbury drive
Wallingford, PA 19086