Blood Donation and AIDS

cliff cliff at watson.ibm.com
Thu Apr 15 08:10:54 EST 1993

I have a quick question I was debating with someone regarding
the blood supply in the U.S. and AIDS.  Can anyone resolve the
following issue of U.S. policy for us?

Someone told me the act of donating blood does not give the donor any
information about whether he/she has AIDS or not.  My colleagues say
that while it's true that blood banks screen blood for AIDS, they don't
keep track of who donated the blood in question in order to get back to
the donor to notify them in the event that HIV is discovered.  Can
anyone shed light on this?   If one donates blood, will the donor
be notified if HIV is detected?   No one seems to agree on this issue.