GENE

Peter Rice rice at embl-heidelberg.de
Sun Apr 18 13:43:54 EST 1993

In article <932518102544 at ibm3090.bham.ac.uk>, WOCHNIAP at IBM3090.BHAM.AC.UK writes:

> Does anybody know the origin of the word "gene"? Where I can find the
> references? Let me know, please!!!        Peter.

I looked it up in my copy of the "Compact Oxford English Dictionary",
copyright 1971.

It was not listed, and "genetic" only had antiquated definitions.

Just goes to show that Cambridge (and Birmingham) are way ahead of Oxford
when it comes to Science.

 Peter Rice, EMBL                             | Post: Computer Group
                                              |       European Molecular
 Internet:    Peter.Rice at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE   |            Biology Laboratory
                                              |       Postfach 10-2209
 Phone:   +49-6221-387247                     |       W-6900 Heidelberg
 Fax:     +49-6221-387306                     |       Germany