Amphetamine and Metabolism

SHICKLEY at VM.TEMPLE.EDU SHICKLEY at VM.TEMPLE.EDU
Sun Apr 18 10:01:33 EST 1993

In article <1993Apr17.062542.21197 at reed.edu>
bieley at Reed.Edu (B. Jonathan Bieley) writes:

>I am looking to scale an amphetamine dosage from the literature from mice
>to rats. So, I am looking for references in two related areas:
>        - the effect basal metabolic rate, and changes in metabolc rate,
>                have on the pharmacology of amphetamine, i.e. do I really
>                have to care about this or am I being overly cautious?
>                        This would probably be within subjects but across
>                        task condition, such as resting versus running, or
>                        this would be intraspecific relationships based on
>                        basal metabolic rate.
>        - the differences in basal metabolic rate between mice and rats.
>                Specifically I need to get some idea of the interspecific
>                scalling of basal metabolic rate so that if I can scale
>                the dosage accordingly.
>Thanks.
>
>-------------------
>Jon Bieley
>Department of Psychology
>Reed College
>Portland, Oregon
>bieley at reed.edu

Jon,
  I wouldn't worry about interspecific metabolic rate for dosages of
amphetamine , or for most any other drug either. Dosages are normally
geared to the pharmacokinetic compartments where the drugs are dis-
posed to end up. Dosages are based on milligrams of drug per kilogram
of body weight. So for the most part, a dose of drug for a mouse given
in mg/kg will be just fine for a rat.

Timothy J. Shickley, Ph.D.   Director, Neurourology
Departments of Urology and Anatomy/Cell Biology
Temple University School of Medicine
3400 North Broad St.
Philadelphia, PA 19140
(voice/data) 215-221-8966; (voice) 21-221-4567; (fax) 21-221-4565
INTERNET: shickley at vm.temple.edu     BITNET: shickley at templevm.bitnet
ICBM: 39 57 08N
      75 09 51W