RFC: Bionet <=> LISTSERV gateway

macrides at sci.wfeb.edu macrides at sci.wfeb.edu
Mon Apr 19 09:52:19 EST 1993

In article <1ql7lkINN8e3 at MINERVA.CIS.YALE.EDU>, smith-una at yale.edu (Una Smith) writes:
>[...]
> So the LISTSERV <=> Usenet gateway does work.  The question is:  do we want
> it to work in bionet?  I say yes:  it would foster a sense of community
> and make life simpler for many administrators who now keep track of the
> alt.*, bit.listserv.*, and sci.bio.* hierarchies as well as bionet.*, just
> to follow all the biology research groups.

	Could you give us an idea of the listserv groups you have in mind, and
whether or not they already have a gateway to a usenet group (i.e., are you
anticipating a lot of shuffling of groups from alt, bit and/or sci into
bionet, or just an additional hierarchy option for lists that are not
presently gatewayed)?

	Would the groups be placed in a bionet.listerv.* sub-hiearchy, with
relative autonomy on the part of the list maintainers, or be subject to *all*
the regulations associated with regular bionet groups?

				Fote